Mumbai OC Relief: Abhay Scheme Approved for Buildings Without Occupancy Certificates

Kunal Singh
3 Min Read
Rate this post
Mumbai residents living in buildings without an Occupancy Certificate (OC) may finally get relief. The Mumbai civic body’s general body on Tuesday evening unanimously approved a proposal to introduce an Abhay Yojana for such buildings.

The scheme is expected to benefit around 19,000 buildings across Mumbai. Mayor Ritu Tawde also directed the civic administration to take note of suggestions raised by councillors from different political parties regarding the issue.

Thousands of Mumbai residents have been living in buildings that do not have an OC for several years. The absence of the certificate creates several problems for them. Residents may have to pay higher water charges, while their occupation of the building can also be treated as unauthorised.

The state government had earlier decided to provide relief to buildings that have been without an OC for various reasons. The BMC is now moving ahead with its own scheme to help eligible buildings obtain the certificate.

Under the proposed Abhay Yojana, buildings that have been without an OC since before November 17, 2016, will be eligible to apply.

The civic administration had submitted the proposal in April. However, it was delayed because of a condition that restricted the scheme’s benefits to flats measuring up to 80 square metres. After the Standing Committee approved the proposal last month, it was placed before the general body, which cleared it on Tuesday.

Leader of the House Ganesh Khankar said ordinary Mumbai residents had been suffering for years because of negligence by some developers and architects. He said the scheme was intended to free residents from this situation.

Khankar also said the civic body should consider making public the names of developers and architects responsible for such lapses and take steps to blacklist them.

According to Standing Committee chairman Prabhakar Shinde, the decision is expected to provide relief to around 1 lakh families living in nearly 19,000 buildings. The scheme will also cover SRA buildings, he said.

Residents of these buildings currently face higher property tax and water charges, resulting in an additional financial burden every year.

Shinde said many old buildings could not obtain an OC because of minor technical issues, incomplete documents or delays in administrative procedures. The new scheme is expected to address these long-standing issues and provide relief to residents facing both administrative and financial difficulties.

read more at mumbaipune.co.in

Related Posts

Share This Article
Follow:
Hi, I’m Kunal Singh. I write about Mumbai and Pune, exploring everything from city life and culture to the best places to visit and things to do. My aim is to share insights that make these cities even more exciting for residents and visitors alike. Keep reading for more updates and tips!
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *